Thursday 15 October 2009

Greetings from Carlisle...

For a number of years I've been collecting postcards from home. Home, for me, is Carlisle, Cumbria where I was born and grew up. I started my collection of postcards from Carlisle when I found a box of said cards at a car boot sale. I was intrigued by the idea that there is an ever-growing and neverending historical record of the city in photographs and short messages from those just passing through and those who lived and worked in there. These cards have been sent from Carlisle to all parts of the world and now I'm gathering them back together in one place.

Postcards offer a unique insight into a place and a time. They live beyond their brief moment of 'wish you were here' and narrate a continuous story of the life of a city, it's people, it's visitors and their times. I only collect used cards. To me, an unused postcard is like an unworn jumper or an unplayed record - purposeless and pointless.

Enjoy the cards and the messages.

Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment